The Internet of Things (IoT) is the research area that study physical objects (“things”) that are embedded with sensors, software, and other technologies for connecting and exchanging data with other devices and systems over the Internet. International Data Corporation’s, the IDC recently made a very clear prediction stating that the Internet of Things will take off soon in no time! Businesses around the globe along with small organizations are investing heavily in IoT initiatives to stay ahead of the market curve, which you will learn more about at KCE, Information Technology colleges in Coimbatore.
There is no doubt that huge potential is waiting in the connected devices and the capabilities they can serve. That is why keen business owners are looking for new ways to capitalize on this opportunity and no industry will remain untouched by the IoT.
Let’s take a look at the 4 most important applications of the Internet of Things (IoT) across major industries to further prove the point before you start your learning at KCE, the Best engineering college in Coimbatore.
1. Retail and supply chain management
Retail and supply chain management is the process of managing the entire supply chain of retail organizations .You can say this industry is among the first ones to see a “smart” change & development. However, the use of IoT devices and apps in retail isn’t limited to shopping and supply chain management. It’s an opportunity for restaurants, hospitality based firms, and other businesses to manage their supplies and gather valuable insights.
Benefits of Internet of Things (IoT) in retail & supply chain management:
- Improved transparency of the supply chain
- Automated goods check-in and check-out
- Monitoring goods location, and warehouse storage conditions
- Predictive maintenance of equipment
- Managing inventory and preventing theft
- Improving the shopping experience and customer service
- Pinpointing and timely notifications about any issues during transportation
- Warehouse demand-alert
- Route optimization
2. Home automation
One cannot overlook the importance and impact that the IoT technologies can have on our homes. Smart appliances, lighting, security, and environmental controls make our life easier and more convenient. You can be a master in this technology after completing dedicated study at KCE, the Best Information Technology colleges in Coimbatore . With several smart devices, including Nest Thermostat, indoor cameras, and alarms, the company helps you better manage your home.
The thermostat learns about your preferences and automatically adjusts the temperature. In addition to a comfortable environment at home, it will help you save on heating and using your energy more efficiently. Nest Indoor and Outdoor Cameras together with smoke and CO alarms make your home safer.
Benefits of IoT in home automation:
- Smart energy management and control
- Centralized management of all home devices
- Predictive maintenance and remote functionality of appliances
- Enhanced comfort and security
- Remote control of home appliances
- Insights and analytics on smart home management
Multiple wearables that flooded the IoT market recently can all be roughly classified as health and fitness devices. Apple, Samsung, Jawbone, and Misfit wearables all represent this area of IoT use and you will know more about such wearables at KCE, the Best Electrical and Electronics Engineering college in Coimbatore.
Such devices monitor heart rate, caloric intake, sleep, track activity, and many other metrics to help us stay healthy. In some cases, such wearables can communicate with third-party apps and share information about the user’s chronic conditions with a healthcare provider.
Benefits of IoT wearables:
- Remote diagnostics and health monitoring
- Advanced personal care options for patients
- Early disease detection and prevention
- A data-driven approach to fitness and personal care
Loaded with smart sensors, our cars are becoming increasingly connected. While most of such solutions are provided out of the box by car manufacturers (Take Tesla for example), there is a third-party solution to make your car “smarter”.
The mobile application connects to a connected device, which allows you to control such functions of your car as opening/closing the doors, engine metrics, the alarm system, detecting the car’s location and routes, etc.
You will study following benefits of IoT in Automotive industries at KCE, one of the Best Colleges for Mechanical Engineering in India
- Improving and streamlining car manufacturing processes
- Remote vehicle monitoring and control
- Smart road infrastructure for drivers
- Monitoring drivers’ conditions
- Smart car insurance
- Car and Smartphone integration
- Preventive vehicle maintenance