India announced its about $10 billion Production Linked Incentive (PLI) programme in December 2021 in an effort to promote semiconductor production. The Electronics and IT Ministry estimates that the rising demand for digital gadgets and electronic goods will cause India’s semiconductor consumption to rise to $70-$80 billion by 2026. In India, the VLSI industry’s reach has grown quickly. It means there will be a demand and opportunity if you choose to pursue the best M.E. VLSI Design in Coimbatore. Let’s discuss the scope and career options in this industry.
How to Become VLSI Engineers?
The semiconductor sector usually only accepts candidates with an engineering degree in electronics or closely related circuit areas. If a person has a solid understanding of digital concepts, semiconductor physics, and software development, they might consider a career in computer science/IT software development.
What are the Career Opportunities you can Expect?
1. The functionality of a design is checked by an SoC verification engineer using a High-Level Verification Language like System Verilog or UVM. An SoC Verification Engineer’s efforts are essential to the product’s success. To check and identify design flaws, RTL Verification Engineers or SoC Verification Engineers collaborate closely with RTL Design Engineers.
2. RTL designer engineers require a solid understanding of digital design principles, the capacity to comprehend and read specifications for design and translate them into code in Verilog using RTL design and coding rules, as well as a strong debugging skill set.
3. Application engineers who completed their degree in the top engineering college in Coimbatore are responsible for assisting consumers in using the product once they have purchased it. To become an AE, you should have the necessary communication skills, presentation skills, interpersonal skills, technological skills, etc. To develop applications that meet the needs of the consumer, the application engineer additionally requires to be an expert in customer evaluation.
4. There are numerous steps involved in designing a semiconductor chip, and numerous software tools from different companies are used in these processes. A CAD engineer must be an expert at using EDA tools, and quality assurance and very knowledgeable about the full design process, from concept to development.
5. The CAEs offer the production team, customers, and clients technical support. Because CAE is responsible for microchip products, it can assist clients in choosing and utilizing the appropriate products for their needs.
6. Technical expertise is required for a career as a Field Application Engineer (FAE). Both pre-sales and post-sales activities come under the responsibility of FAE. They must get knowledgeable about the tools, design flow, and product functionality to support the use of these solutions.
Infographics: Why do we need VLSI?
- The size of circuits has been reduced.
- Increased cost-effectiveness of the gadget.
- Operating speed has increased as a result of better circuit performance.
- In comparison to separate elements, it uses less energy.
- Improved reliability.
- It promotes reduction and uses less space.
A Career in VLSI Industry: Five Things to Know
1. Now, the technology is quite increasing so there is a demand for chip design and manufacturing. When you study electrical engineering in the best electronics and telecommunications engineering colleges in Coimbatore, you need to know how the VLSI industry works. And, if you want to earn once you get a degree, then it is challenging. You need to know that even if there is a demand, the package will be reasonable and can’t be rich in a short time.
2. VLSI is based on electronics engineering and those who are more interested in digital circuits, gates, current, voltage and other terminology can gain a lot in this field. If you’re not passionate or interested in electronics then you can’t survive. This industry requires more software and electrical skills to start your career in the VLSI industry.
3. The VLSI industry requires engineers who can update themselves based on current trends and technologies. So, if you just sit up and learn one technology, basics, and some fundamentals about scripting language then it is not possible to sustain in this field. Upgrade yourself, and gain experience with new technology and its benefits in the market.
4. Starting your own business or independently working in the industry is a better option but you need to think about investment plans. However, you have the knowledge and effort, the VLSI industry needs tools which are expensive and more investors. As of now, upgrade technology and invest a lot to start a business in this field.
5. Now the industry is based on machine language and automation, so if you don’t want to sort the programming, then it is quite challenging. So, it is better when you’re studying in the best college for electronics and communication engineering in Tamil Nadu to prepare yourself for learning new technical skills. Scripting and automation are high requirements in this field.